If you do decide to repaint your own stucco, there are certain steps to take to ensure that the job is done correctly:
- Work with the right materials. Stucco is best served by using flat or low-sheen paint, typically an acrylic masonry paint.
- Clean and prep the surface thoroughly. One of the most important parts of painting stucco exterior surfaces is preparing those surfaces. Use a pressure washer, with a concentrated cleaner intended for exterior use, in order to remove not only dirt and mildew, but also loose pieces of stucco. Then seal any cracks you find using Elastomeric caulk.
- Prime before you paint. You'll usually get better results if you use a primer before painting stucco exterior surfaces. An acrylic primer can make the color uniform, and help the paint to adhere more efficiently, but it also can improve the look of the wall, particularly if there's any minimal damage. Larger problem areas, of course, will need to be repaired before you paint. Always allow primer to dry completely before you paint. Regardless, it is highly recommended to use two coats of paint on stucco for proper and thorough coverage.
- Use the right techniques, at the right time. Shoot for a day with moderate temperature and humidity, and start by "cutting in" around trim, in order to create an outline in which to paint. Then work in sections, using a roller to apply paint, and blending it in as you move on. The roller has to stay wet. Otherwise, you will see lap marks. (Typically, if you hire professional painters, they will spray the first coat and back roll it. Then, for the second coat, they will just spray it.) After allowing the paint to dry, apply a second coat.
Painting Stucco Exterior A Bigger Project Than You Bargained For?
Of course, it may be better to leave the job to the professionals. At SuperiorPRO, we know the ins and outs of painting stucco exterior and, in addition to painting, we can also provide you with stucco repairs of all types, including:
- Water damage
- Bird holes
- Kick-out flashing (AKA: diverter flashing)
- Hail damage
- Termination at grade
- Sealants and more
At SuperiorPRO, you'll not only find Atlanta professional painters, but also a team dedicated to providing a smooth and excellent experience and outcome. SuperiorPRO offers a wide range of services: interior and exterior painting, siding installation and repair, stucco repair, and window installation. We strive for effective communication with our customers, because know that when it comes to your home renovation, you deserve to be well informed at every step of the process. Call for a free estimate today! SuperiorPRO is located at 1955 Vaughn Road Suite 108 Kennesaw, GA 30144. To request A FREE Quote, call: 770.203.0165.